Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thirteen minutes

"I feel about airplanes the way I feel about diets.  It seems to me that they are wonderful things for other people to go on."  ~ Jean Kerr

I myself would rather go on an airplane any day of the week than to go on a diet.  However, I do feel about treadmills the way I feel about diets.  They are wonderful things for other people to go on. 

It wasn't until 4:39 p.m. that I found myself on one of those awful mechanical beasts.  It had been my plan to be on one much earlier in the day.  Although when the alram went off this morning at 4:45 a.m., I wasn't all that interested in getting out of my warm bed.  I pulled the blankets up over my head and drifted back to sleep.

As I walked the treadmill listening to my tunes, I was getting seriously pumped.  This had worked out so well for me.   I went home at lunch.  I found a roast in the freezer, slipped it in the microwave to defrost and got out a crock pot.  I didn't have to rush home to prepare dinner, it was already simmering in the crock pot.  All I had to do was show up, slice it and place it on a wheat bun.  

I turned up the music a notch and went into a full jog, eventually I hope to report that I went into a full sprint but for now I'll have to settle for a full jog.   I hit the incline buttun a few times.   I was on fire.   Then my music gets interrupted by a text.   What?  I haven't time to socialize.   No texting and walking on a treadmill that could be seriously dangerous.  

Although I wanted to, I couldn't ignore the text.  I had called my ten-year-old son, Logan, before I started exercising.   I asked him to check the roast and before I hung up I told him, "Don't let the roast burn or the house catch on fire."   So, fearing the house might be on fire, I checked the text message.   It was Derek.  His baseball practice had ended early.   He needed me to pick him up.  

Of course I stopped jogging.   I sent him a text and said, "Ok, be there soon."  I looked at the treadmill.  I got in thirteen minutes of exercise and that would likely be all the exercise I would get for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment