"More die in the United States of too much food than of too little." ~ John Kenneth Galbraith, The Affluent Society
Back home this evening in Linn, Missouri listening to the wind chimes violently rattle as the wind swiftly crafts a huge snow drift in the driveway. I’m snuggled under an afghan watching television as the flames from the fireplace dance on the ceiling. It’s a pleasantly cold and dark evening perfect for a cup of piping hot chocolate loaded with white creamy miniature marshmellows.
What is it about snow and below freezing temperatures that have us dreaming about comfort foods like blueberry muffins, creamy potato soup and spicy hot chili? Don't these foods make you want to flip on the oven, drag out the pots and start preparing all your favorite comfort food recipes. You're ready to abandon that crazy, insane resolution to eat healthy and exercise, aren't you?
I admit that a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies sitting beside that mug of hot chocolate sounds very tempting. However, I realize that would be a deliciously sinful mistake. If you want proof, flip on the tv, you're missing the Biggest Loser. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment