Monday, January 17, 2011

Chew your food

"My advice if you insist on slimming: Eat as much as you like - just don't swallow it." ~ Harry Secombe


My problem isn't that I don't swallow, it's because I forget to chew and usually swallow everything whole.  I rearely stop and think about chewing when I eat.  I take a bite of the food and chew until the food gets to a point where I can swallow it whole. 
 
From what I've read, chewing unconsciously can actually hinder weight loss.  It's probably why I don't feel satisfied after eating because I'm inhaling my food and don't stop to taste it fully.  I've been trying my best to eat slower and actually enjoy what I'm eating. 
 
I've been like this all my life.  In the first grade I was always the first one done with my lunch.  One day a friend of mine decided she would imitate how fast I ate.  She bit off a huge portion of her hamburger, started chewing, and unfortunately she started laughing causing her to throw up.   Of course, I got in trouble for it and was told that I no longer needed to always be the first one done.
 
On days like today when I'm overly stressed about getting something accomplished such as the mountain of school projects my sons brought home, I have a tendencay to swallow first and wish I had chewed my food later.  I've ate some good food today but not been overly satisfied.  
 
Tonight we are having steak, baked potato and salad.  Since the diorama of the coral reef is constructed, the black labrador hand puppet is made, the can is transformed into Jackie Robinson, the white poster board is filled with a majestic forrest and the essay on being a responsible Catholic citizen in a free society is written, I think I might be able to relax and enjoy chewing, swallowing and eating my dinner.  Let's hope for the best.
 
Tip of the day:  Chew and swallow your food with your mouth or you'll see it later on your big o'le behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment