"There was a boyishness about Mr. Clemens sometimes that found different modes of expression. Once, when the long corridor of the second floor of the hotel presented a temptingly empty avenue, he hopped, skipped, and ran, and then gave a delicious suggestion of a cake-walk. As soon as a door opened, he stopped and assumed a supernaturally grave aspect." ~Elizabeth Wallace, Mark Twain and the Happy Island, 1914.
I tried skipping in Silver Dollar City today.
After the American flag had been raised, the pledge of allegiance recited and the Star Spangled Banner sung, Silver Dollar City was officially open for the day. For the first time ever, my family and I were some of the first people in the amusement park.
The boys were determined to get to the back of the park as quickly as possible and be the first ones on the Powder Keg roller coaster. With the boys down the hill and in the front of the pack, I had to practically run to catch up. As I quickly passed by the dumbfounded amateurs reading maps and scouting out their path for the day, I chuckled to myself. I thought what a perfect opportunity to take out skipping down the path and glide pass the boys on the way to the roller coaster. However, I feared my own humiliation especially if I were to slip, fall and roll down the asphalt pavement.
So instead of taking out like Dorothy and the Scarecrow, I jogged ahead of the parents pushing strollers to catch up with the boys. Upon reaching the boys, we had reached the bottom of the hollar.
"Ok, boys this is where we take out skipping along the path," I said as I started to skip ahead of them. My ten-year-old was all for it. He even grabbed my hand. Logan was caught up in the excitement. Caleb, Mr. Junior High, was about to join us until his older brother, Derek protested.
"Stop it now," he said to us. "Seriously, you can just stop that now!"
I laughed. Mission accomplished. I had recaptured my childhood and managed to embarrass at least one of my children.
Skipping aside, I walked another five miles in Silver Dollar City alone. Another beautiful sunny day in Branson.
No comments:
Post a Comment