Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hiking rain or shine

Hiking is the best workout!... You can hike for three hours and not even realize you're working out.  And, hiking alone lets me have some time to myself.  ~Jamie Luner

As a teenager I use to love going for hikes in the woods.  After a day at school, I would change out of my school clothes and into my "everyday" clothes.  On those hikes, I would be gone until sundown. It was a great way to get some alone time and surprisingly I got in a workout as well. 

I thought about going for a hike this afternoon once the rain stopped.  It would likely require boots but I was positive I would enjoy it. And it would have be a really good workout. 

Unfortunately, life isn't as carefree as it was when I was a teenager. At 41, I have to pick up my own teenager from baseball practice. I have to sort the laundry and start the washing machine.  I have to load the dishwasher, throw away the junk mail and open the bills, and all those other things grown-ups have to do. Tromping through the woods, through the mud and the muck, well that's just not on my list of things I have to do. 

Maybe some other day, a warmer day when maybe the boys can go to. That's the kind of hiking a 41 year old father of three boys does and enjoys!

No comments:

Post a Comment