Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thunderstorms likely, let's barbecue

"The story of barbecue is the story of America: Settlers arrive on great unspoiled continent, discover wondrous riches, set them on fire and eat them." ~Vince Staten

 For his 15th birthday, my son Derek wanted barbecued chicken.  He was told that we had limited time to prepare such a delicacy.   He was quick to point out that he knew how to grill and he would start grilling the chicken before we got home from work.

When I arrived home, I found Derek and his little brother Logan under a canopy on the back deck with a pitcher of lemonade and the stereo turned up about ten notches too loud.   Is it any wonder he didn't hear the phone when I tried to call him on the way home from work?

"Are you having a little party?" I asked.   Derek replied.  "Sure am!"   I informed him that his patio party was about to get blown away by the big thunderstorm that was headed our way.   I'm not sure he believed me because he wasn't in a hurry to take down the canopy.   Within a few minutes the wind picked up, the thunder and lightening started and the radio station warned of an impending thunderstorm complete with strong winds and hail.  

"Oh, Logan you better help me take down this canopy before it gets blown away," cried Derek.  Luckily the boys got the canopy down and in the house before it started to pour down rain.  

With the chicken still grilling, Derek was a little perplexed as to how he was going to finish his birthday dinner.  Again he ordered his little brother to find him an umbrella.  Like a faithful puppy, Logan fetched an umbrella for Derek. 

"Ok, you hold it while I turn the chicken," said Derek.  Logan looked at him and said something I wouldn't normally appreciate coming from a ten-year-old boy.  "Screw you, hold your own umbrella," said Logan.  "I'm not getting wet."

So now as the rain continues to pour down, we wait for Derek to finish grilling the chicken.  We are hoping we get to eat sometime tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment