Saturday, July 23, 2011

Hiking the Ozark Mountains

Sunrise at the top of a Branson hill.
"No matter how far you may get off track in your life, with determination, hope and a little sweat, nothing will stand in your way from your dreams." ~ Bob Harper

This morning I had this brilliant idea to beat the heat, get up early and go for a hike.  With the multitude of well paved sidewalks and trails to hike the Ozark Mountains in Branson, Missouri, I was fairly confident, the hiking wouldn't be all that bad.

The first hurdle was motivating myself to go for the four mile hike.  I was up before the sun even thought about rising.  Being dark, I thought it might be best to hang out at the local coffee shop, a.k.a. McDonalds before taking on the hills of Branson.   So with plenty of caffeine in my system, I was wide awake and ready to start climbing.  

As I was getting ready to hit the pavement, I sent a quick text to a friend battling breast cancer a second time and having to endure the agony of weekly chemotherapy treatments.  My text read, "I'm up and walking the hills of Branson this morning.  Offering up this workout for you.  Don't expect huge miracles but maybe my huffing, puffing and sweating will inspire the good Lord to pour out his kindness on you today.  Lots of love and blessing coming your way."   I hit send and away I went.   I also jogged a short portion of the distance, the downhill portions, for a little man and his team playing basketball in the Missouri Show-Me Games, in hopes he and his team would bring home the gold this weekend.

Killer hill!
I was doing well until I experienced the steepest hill I have ever had to climb in my life.  "Oh my goodness," I thought to myself.  "What the hell was I thinking.  I am never going to make it to the top of this hill.   And worse yet, how on earth will I make it back to my car which was over on another hill some two miles away."   I feared that I was in over my head. 

Finally, I pulled it together.  If my friend can put up with weekly chemotherapy, surely I can make it up this awful hill.  I gave it everything I had.  When I reached the top of the hill I wanted to fall to the ground.   Instead I took a deep breath and turned around facing in the direction I had started my hike.   In the sky, was this a huge mass of clouds hiding the sun and the sun was doing everything it could to be seen.   Beams of sun rays were bursting from every single angle.   It definitely put a smile on my face and some joy in my heart.  

Walking the two miles back to the car wasn't as difficult as I had anticipated after seeing that beautiful sun rise.   It was a little daunting to be passed up by a 70 year old man out for his morning walk, but I did my best to keep pace with him.   I was also a little surprised I had only hiked four miles, because it did feel a little like eight miles.   Again, I take into consideration the offering I made and the sunrise I saw.  It was an awesome way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment