I believe that the Good Lord gave us a finite number of heartbeats and I'm damned if I'm going to use up mine running up and down a street. ~Neil Armstrong on jogging, in an interview with Walter Cronkite
I admire the boys and girls, young and old, who find it inside themselves to train and eventually finish a race. It impresses me the number of people who make it their goal to run a marathon, or a half marathon or even a 5k or 10k race.
I've considered running a 5k a couple of times. I've even downloaded the IPhone application, Couch to 5k. I've download it but certainly haven't committed to it.
I suppose the reason I don't commit is because it sort of intimidates me. I'm more of a sprinter than a marathon runner. I can do minutes upon minutes of intervals on a track or treadmill. Very rarely, if ever, will you see me run for a long distance.
I think I don't enjoy running because I have the tendency to start running without stretching and well I forget to breath while I am running.
Perhaps one day I'll overcome the silly physical and mental barriers I put in front of myself and I'll actually train for and complete a race. For now, I'll continue to cheer for family and friends who go beyond their physical and mental capabilities to cross the finish line. Especially those who are out there running for a good cause!
I'll run a 5K with you! I felt the same way before the first (and only!) one I did a few years ago. It's a sense of accomplishment that I can't explain.
ReplyDelete