Sunday, February 6, 2011

Good intentions to eat healthy

Snack food consumption is double the average on Super Bowl Sunday making it the second biggest eating day of the year, surpassed only by Thanksgiving. During Super Bowl Sunday 2006, viewers ate 49.5 million pounds of avocados, enough to cover a football field end zone to end zone in more than 11.8 feet of guacamole.

I'll not even speak of how many calories I have consumed this evening.  I had good intentions of preparing a low calorie Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup.  I prepared the soup, but that wasn't all I ate.  I blazed through a couple hot wings and dunked at least 20 or more tortilla chips into Rotel cheese dip and Paula's homemade guacamole dip.   I'm not even counting the chocolate covered strawberry that was delivered to my door.   It's fruit.   There can't be that many calories in one little bitty strawberry dipped in chocolate.

Before I sign off to watch the barrage of Super Bowl commercials... oh and the game too.   I thought I would share with you my version of Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup.   It has only 260 calories, give or take a calorie here and there.  It was delicious.  Of course, I had a little help.  Paula was in the kitchen at the same time and was extremely free and easy with the advice.

Scott's Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves fresh or roasted garlic, minced
80 oz chicken broth
10 oz can Rotel tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro
7 oz can diced green chilies
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled, diced and seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic salt
2 1/2 cups of instant brown rice
1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon of salt and pepper
1 teaspoon of garlic salt with parsley

Place olive oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat.  Saute onion for five minutes then add in garlic.  Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, green chilies, chicken breast, brown rice, lime juice and seasonings.  Cook for 7-10 minutes. 

You can serve soup with diced avocado, a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese or tortilla chips.

260 calories, 4g fat, 32g carbohydrates, 15g protein.

Enjoy... go Green Bay Packers!

No comments:

Post a Comment