Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The far edge of the lawn

If you are walking to seek, ye shall find. ~Sommeil Liberosensa


After hours and hours of being with people today, I took out across the yard for a stroll around the perimeter of my parent's yard.  

In flip-flops, shorts and a Tshirt I stepped across the yard thinking about the day.  Just a few short hours before, my brothers and I were carrying our Dad's casket to its final resting place. It was a walk we would have rather not taken. 

As I reached the farthest corner of the yard, where the lawn turns to woods, I thought about Dad and how only a week ago he was having such a good day he had went for a walk and made it this far. 

I stood at the far edge of the lawn inspecting the woods.  Oh my how eager I was to keep walking, no matter the shoes on my feet, I could hear the call to just keep walking among the trees of my parent's woods.  As a child I had done it many, many times. 

I loved to walk in the woods and Dad loved to work in the woods. His idea of a good day in the outdoors usually included work, mine did not. He enjoyed cutting down trees where as I enjoyed walking among the trees.  He wanted to trim the brush and I wanted to meander through it. 

We didn't always understand each other but we were perhaps more alike than we were different.  I didn't really appreciate that until I stood there today looking out among the trees noticing the dogwood trees in full bloom.  We both enjoyed the outdoors in our own special way.  

Perhaps on another day like today, I'll wear more appropriate shoes for a stroll through woods. One thing I know for sure is that I won't be alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment