Chocolate is an antidepressant, which is especially useful as you start to gain weight. ~Jason Love
It was bound to happen eventually. Last night I snapped under the pressure and fell victim to butter, sugar and chocolate. I ate not one, not two, but several chocolate chip cookies in one instance. Not only did I eat the freshly baked cookies, I ate at least three or more teaspoons of ready-made cookie dough straight from the carton.
I'm an emotional eater, perhaps since birth. You should see my baby photos. I was a chubby little white baby with a carrot top for hair. At least that is how I looked in the color photos. Anyhow, it's been a rather stressful week for one reason or another, and last night I caved to the pressure.
My son Caleb flipped on the oven to preheat while I was in the other room folding clothes. I was already wiped out from a long day and a late night the previous night. The sound of cookie sheets being laid out and Caleb spooning cookie dough from the carton was like the sound of angels playing their harps. He was playing my music and I was thrilled that in less than ten minutes there would be the smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in the house.
While waiting for the oven to heat up, the neighbor kids came calling for Caleb to join them outside for a little game of basketball. I told Caleb to go and I would put the cookie sheets in the oven for him. I didn't realize until I got to the kitchen that Caleb had left the carton of dough out on the counter. It was a gift from heaven. Just me, a spoon and a carton of chocolate chip cookie dough. I guarantee if I make it to heaven you'll find me in the section where they taste test the cookie dough.
Luckily, I came to my senses and stopped after the third, maybe fourth spoonful. Oh and it was so good, until I had to honestly record it in my LoseIt! app on my phone. Luckily, my youngest son Logan didn't ask if I was "in the red" for the day. By the time I had finished diving deep into the carton for cookie dough, I was already in the red for the day.
I thought perhaps I was done until the cookies came out of the oven. They were golden brown and swimming with semi-sweet chocolate chips. My senses were on overload. I could see how delicious they were and I could certainly smell the freshly baked aroma. All I wanted to do was taste and I mean taste the butter and the sugars and the chocolate melt in my mouth.
I reached for a cookie. "Ouch," I squawked. "That's hot!" Of course, that was a hint from God to step away from the chocolate chip cookies. I stepped away, only because the dryer buzzed and not because I had burned my fingertips. Unfortunately a basket load of laundry wasn't distracting enough. I succumb to the madness and willing ate a handful of cookies. The Pillsbury Dough Boy makes a mighty fine chocolate chip cookie.
No comments:
Post a Comment