Thursday, August 4, 2011

Oh how I hate to run

"Life is often compared to a marathon, but I think it is more like being a sprinter; long stretches of hard work punctuated by brief moments in which we are given the opportunity to perform at our best." --Michael Johnson

What a blessing to finally find a quote that speaks to the "sprinter" that dwells inside of my mind, my body and my soul.  

I so admire all of you who enjoy running.  I'm in awe of all the people who fall in love with running so much that they will run a marathon.   Heck, I'm amazed by anyone who runs a 5K.  I have never signed up, nor do I expect to sign up, for any of those sort of races. 

I have never been a long distance runner.  I hate it.  I simply do not enjoy it at all.   I've tried it many times and I still find no enjoyment in it at all.   Perhaps I don't stretch enough.  Maybe I don't breath right.   I'm not real sure what it is about running, but I am not a fan.

You will find me sprinting.  I would much rather do twenty or thirty minutes of sprinting on a tread mill or a track than to run at a steady pace for any long distance.  

I was never on the track team in high school, but I think I might have enjoyed it.  I might have even been good at it.  As for cross country, I would have sucked wind, passed out and rolled down the hill.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the weather shifted today.  The rain came and the excessive heat slightly dissipated.  And for us sprinters and runners up early this morning, the clouds enhanced an already gorgeous sunrise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment